Pages

Wednesday 2 July 2014

It's a wonder I'm not mad already

Here's a little snapshot of communication in our house at the moment.

I have failed to realise that TheRev is out for dinner tonight, and have planned a complicated salmon dish involving asparagus.  Fairly certain that neither child would eat it anyway, I decide to ask their opinions and seek an excuse to cook a simpler supper for the three of us.

I approach Abigail.  This has to be done with caution, as she is absorbed in Pocoyo.  My iPad has been thrown across the room for lesser intrusions.

"Abi, would you like cheesy tomato pasta for dinner later, or salmon?"

"I would like a sandwich."

I glance at the screen.  Pocoyo has a sandwich.

"Right, but for dinner - pasta or salmon?"

"Pasta AND salmon."

"Do you like pasta?"

"No."

"Do you like salmon?"

"No."

I give up and go to find Jeremy.  I find him about to lob all the loo rolls down the stairs.  I rescue them.

"Jem, do you want cheesy tomato pasta or salmon for dinner?"

"Cheesy'matosammun.  Yes."

I really am looking forward to the day when I might be able to have a basic conversation with my children.  It can't be that far off...can it?!

1 comment:

Fran Hill said...

If I were you, I'd get in as many conversations as you can with them, before they are teenagers .....